I am a teacher. I pride myself on getting middle school students to love reading. The best compliment a parent ever paid me was almost a complaint: "We could never get him to read before; now, we can't get him to put down the books!" I love reading! There's nothing better than curling up with a good book and staying there until I've finished it.
And yet, I have not done nearly enough reading in the last year or so. I let school get in the way of my biggest joy in life. How can I expect to remain happy in my career if it keeps me, or if I let it keep me, from something that gives me joy?
Time to make some changes...starting this weekend! Enter the 48-Hour Read-A-Thon. It's quite simple. Just take time away from other activities like television-watching or internet-surfing and devote that time to reading. I can do this! Will you join me?
Here are the guidelines from the Unputdownables blog:
If You’re In:
- Choose a few books that you will attempt to finish this weekend (Friday evening through Sunday night).
- Post your TBR Read-a-Thon books on your blog so your readers can see what you are attempting for the weekend.
- Challenge your readers to read along with you! (It’s OK if they don’t, but might be fun if they want to choose at least one book to participate with).
- Join the discussion all weekend long at #bookblogchat on Twitter.
- Post updates on your blog about what you are reading and what you have finished (full reviews can come later, but this will let your readers know what you are reading so they can either read along or look forward to your reviews!)
- Visit other blogs that are doing the read-a-long. Post comments and follow your fellow bloggers.
- Make sure you sign up here with Mr. Linky with a link to your first post so we can follow your progress!
- *If you don’t have a blog but want to participate: Sign up with Mr. Linky, just don’t add a website (or you can link to your Twitter or GoodReads page).*
If You’re Not In, but Want to Support:
- Check out the blogs that are participating below in the Mr. Linky list.
- Visit those blogs and leave comments and encouragement
- Add to your own TBRs as you see what others are reading!
And here is my reading challenge for this weekend:
- The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller (I've started it, but plan to finish it)
- The Magician by Michael Scott (I'm surprised I put it down to write this post!)
- Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak